We are presenting three courses at Domaine de Bel Air for Summer 2017 featuring Brigitte Beraha and Nia Lynn.
Week 1: 31st July - 6th August ( 6 nights) - WAITING LIST ONLY
Vocal tutor: Brigitte Beraha. With (brass/woodwind), ), Barry Green (piano), Jeremy Brown (bass), Tristan Mailliot (drums).
Week 2: - FULLY BOOKED NOW - WAITING LIST ONLY
Vocal tutor: Nia Lynn With Gareth Lockrane (brass,woodwind), Barry Green (piano),Oli Hayhurst (bass), Rob Barron (piano), Tristan Mailliot (drums).
Week 3: 12th -18th August (6 nights) -
Vocal tutor: Brigitte Beraha. With Gareth Lockrane (brass,woodwind), Mark Ridout (guitar), Mike Gorman (piano), Dave Jones (bass), Tristan Mailliot (drums).
The Vocalist course welcomes vocalists with a wide variety of backgrounds and experience who want to develop and improve their jazz singing. Support classes from the instrumental tutors on topics such as harmony, aural training, rhythm and feel complete the course.
This year we are delighted to welcome Brigitte Beraha and Nia Lynn who both offer unrivalled expertise in jazz vocal coaching, performance and contemporary improvisation.
There is a strong emphasis on practical skills and participants have the opportunity to prepare songs for performance in the evenings with pianists and trios.
Vocalists will also join with instrumental participants and tutors for workshops and support classes. .
Please have a look at the tutor page to access biogs and sound clips for Brigitte and Nia.
- Performance: microphone technique, confidence, conveying lyrics, repertoire.
- Jazz phrasing: improving swing feel. Understanding triplet subdivisions
- Time and feel: counting in, choosing appropriate tempos, changing the time signature and feel of a song. Brazilian music.
- Improvisation: Scat vocabulary, developing and building solos, improvising over chord sequences.
- Theory/harmony: Aural skills, understanding chord symbols. Chord/scale relationships, ear training.
- Each participant will be allocated individual rehearsal time with a pianist or trio to prepare songs for performance in the evening concerts.
- Brigitte will run a jazz choir group every afternoon. The choir will perform on the last night.
Schedule (typical day)
- 8.30am: Breakfast.
- 10.00 to 10.45am: Vocal warm up / technique.
- 10.45 to 1.00pm: Masterclass with vocal tutor.
- 1.00pm: Lunch.
- 2.00 to 3.30pm:Rehearsing songs with pianists and / or trios
- 3.30 to 4.45 pm: Jazz choir or masterclasses
- 4.30 to 7.30pm: Free time for rest, recreation or practice.
- 7.30pm: Aperitif and dinner.
- 9.00 pm: The evening continues with a concert followed by a jam session until about 2.00 am.
Click here for full information about fees and terms & conditions.