The course welcomes instrumentalists with some jazz experience who want to develop and improve their improvisation and performance skills.
The Summer School features world-class performers and tutors, offering an intensive and practical approach with lots of structured ensemble work, analysis and technique plus late night jamming.
The Summer School runs from 27th July to 14th August and Couse 4 , 23rd to 28 th August.
COURSE 1: ARRIVAL 27TH JULY -DEPARTURE 2ND AUGUST (6 NIGHTS)
Tutors: Gareth Lockrane (brass/woodwind), Rob Barron (piano) , Oli Hayhurst (double bass and electric bass),Tristan Mailliot (drums). Vocal course: Judy Niema
COURSE 2 : ARRIVAL 2ND AUGUST – DEPARTURE 8TH AUGUST (6 NIGHTS)
Tutors: Steve Fishwick (trumpet ), Mick Foster (woodwind), Barry Green (piano), Jeremy Brown (double bass), Tristan Mailliot (drums).
Vocal course: Brigitte Beraha
COURSE 3: ARRIVAL 8TH AUGUST – DEPARTURE 14TH AUGUST (6 NIGHTS)
Tutors: Gareth Lockrane (brass/woodwind), Flo Moore (electric bass), Mike Gorman (piano /keys), Mark Ridout (guitar), Tristan Mailliot (drums).
There is a Funk option running throughout this course. Vocal course: Brigitte Beraha
COURSE 4: ARRIVAL 23RD AUGUST – DEPARTURE 28TH AUGUST (5 NIGHTS)
Tutors: Gareth Lockrane (brass/woodwind), Flo Moore ( bass), Barry Green (piano), Tristan Mailliot (drums).
Vocal course: Nia Lynn
Course Outline (Instrumentalists)
The course welcomes all woodwind and brass players , guitarists, pianists, bass players (electric or double) and drummers with some jazz experience who want to develop and improve their improvisation,and performance skills.
The emphasis of the course is very practical, so be prepared for lots of playing!
Tristan Mailliot is the course director, dealing with overall organisation as well as teaching drums and leading rhythm workshops.
Classes are a mix of instrumental workshops and ensemble classes focusing on different types of jazz repertoire. We will be covering blues forms, jazz standards and more contemporary material ie. music by Bill Evans, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, John Scofield, Pat Metheny.
Course one will have some added funk workshops.
Everyone has the the opportunity to prepare pieces of their choice in quartets and quintets for the evening concert which is followed by an extended jam session. There will also be a mini big band ensemble directed by our horn tutor. We encourage everyone to stretch their musical boundaries and have fun both on and off the bandstand.
- Brass/ Woodwind: Scales, modes, improvisation, repertoire.
- Piano: Chord/scale relationships, chord voicings and extensions, vocabulary, technique.
- Bass: Chord/scale relationships, developing walking bass lines, vocabulary and soloing.
- Drums: Straight eighths and triplet based time feels, stickings, soloing and phrasing, brushwork, metric modulation, Latin.
- Guitar: chord shapes, scales. Repertoire and styles.
- 8.45am: Breakfast.
- 10.00 to 11.20am: Instrument specific workshop.
- 11.40-1.00pm: Participants divide into small groups and work with tutors.
- 1.00pm: Lunch.
- 2.15 to 3.45 pm: Large Ensemble or small group prep with vocalists.
- 3.45 to 5 pm Masterclasses ( transcription, solo analysis, rhythm class) or funk class or jazz choir
- 5 to 7.30pm: Free time for recreation or rehearsals. Ensembles can use allocated rehearsal time to prepare for the evening concerts.
- 7.30pm: Dinner.
- 8.45pm onwards: Concert followed by a jam session lasting until about 1.30 am