The course welcomes instrumentalists with some jazz experience who want to develop and improve their improvisation and performance skills.
The Summer School features world-class performers and tutors, offering an intensive and practical approach with lots of structured ensemble work, analysis and technique plus late night jamming.
Summer School 2022 dates from 1st August to 19th August.
Courses Dates 2022
2022 COURSE 1: ARRIVAL 1st August departure 7 TH August (6 NIGHTS)
2022 COURSE 2: ARRIVAL 7th AUGUST -DEPARTURE 13th AUGUST (6 NIGHTS)
Tutors: Alan Barnes (woodwind), Rob Barron (piano) , Jeremy Brown (double bass ), Tristan Mailliot (drums). Vocal course Judy Niemack
2022 COURSE 3: ARRIVAL 13th AUGUST -DEPARTURE 19th AUGUST (6 NIGHTS)
Tutors: Steve Fishwick Tp , Mick Foster , Rob Barron (piano) , Jeremy Brown (double bass), Tristan Mailliot (drums). Vocal course Nia Lynn
Course Outline (Instrumentalists)
The course welcomes all woodwind and brass players , guitarists, pianists, bass players (electric or double) and drummers with some jazz experience who want to develop and improve their improvisation,and performance skills.
The emphasis of the course is very practical, so be prepared for lots of playing!
Tristan Mailliot is the course director, dealing with overall organisation as well as teaching drums and leading rhythm workshops.
Classes are a mix of instrumental workshops and ensemble classes focusing on different types of jazz repertoire. We will be covering blues forms, jazz standards and more contemporary material ie. music by Bill Evans, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, John Scofield, Pat Metheny.
Course one will have some added funk workshops.
Everyone has the the opportunity to prepare pieces of their choice in quartets and quintets for the evening concert which is followed by an extended jam session. There will also be a mini big band ensemble directed by our horn tutor. We encourage everyone to stretch their musical boundaries and have fun both on and off the bandstand.
- Brass/ Woodwind: Scales, modes, improvisation, repertoire.
- Piano: Chord/scale relationships, chord voicings and extensions, vocabulary, technique.
- Bass: Chord/scale relationships, developing walking bass lines, vocabulary and soloing.
- Drums: Straight eighths and triplet based time feels, stickings, soloing and phrasing, brushwork, metric modulation, Latin.
- Guitar: chord shapes, scales. Repertoire and styles.
- 8.45am: Breakfast.
- 10.00 to 11.20am: Instrument specific workshop.
- 11.40-1.00pm: Participants divide into small groups and work with tutors.
- 1.00pm: Lunch.
- 2.15 to 3.45 pm: Large Ensemble or small group prep with vocalists.
- 3.45 to 5 pm Masterclasses ( transcription, solo analysis, rhythm class) or funk class or jazz choir
- 5 to 7.00pm: Free time for recreation or rehearsals. Ensembles can use allocated rehearsal time to prepare for the evening concerts.
- 7.15pm: Dinner.
- 8.30 pm onwards: Concert followed by a jam session lasting until about 1 am.