The Vocal course welcomes vocalists with a wide variety of backgrounds and experience who want to develop and improve their jazz singing. The courses includes support classes from the instrumental tutors on topics such as harmony, aural training, rhythm and feel.
Courses at Domaine de Bel Air in western France for Summer 2020 and 2021 feature Brigitte Beraha, Judy Niemack and Nia Lynn.
Dates and tutors below for 2020 and 2021.
Vocal Course Dates 2020 and 2021
2020 COURSE 2: arrive 2nd – depart 8th AUGUST
Vocal tutor: Brigitte Beraha.
Gareth Lockrane (woodwind, brass ), Barry Green (piano), Jeremy Brown (double bass), Tristan Mailliot (drums).
2020 COURSE 3: arrive 8th – depart 14th AUGUST
Vocal tutor: Brigitte Beraha
Gareth Lockrane (brass,woodwind), Mike Gorman (piano), Mark Ridout ( guitar), Flo Moore ( electric bass ), Tristan Mailliot ( drums).
2021 DATES AND TUTORS
COURSE 1 : 26th JULY to 1st AUGUST : BRIGITTE BERAHA
COURSE 2: 1st to 7th AUGUST : JUDY NIEMACK
COURSE 3 : 7th to 13th AUGUST: BRIGITTE BERAHA
COURSE 4: 14 th 20 th AUGUST: NIA LYNN
The Vocalist course welcomes vocalists with a wide variety of backgrounds and experience who want to develop and improve their jazz singing. Support classes from the instrumental tutors on topics such as harmony, aural training, rhythm and feel complete the course.
This year we welcome again Brigitte Beraha and Judy Niemack who both offer unrivalled expertise in jazz vocal coaching, performance and contemporary improvisation.
There is a strong emphasis on practical skills and participants have the opportunity to prepare songs for performance in the evenings with pianists and trios.
Vocalists will also join with instrumental participants and tutors for workshops and support classes. .
Please have a look at the tutor page to access biogs and sound clips for Brigitte and Nia.
- Performance: microphone technique, confidence, conveying lyrics, repertoire.
- Jazz phrasing: improving swing feel. Understanding triplet subdivisions
- Time and feel: counting in, choosing appropriate tempos, changing the time signature and feel of a song. Brazilian music.
- Improvisation: Scat vocabulary, developing and building solos, improvising over chord sequences.
- Theory/harmony: Aural skills, understanding chord symbols. Chord/scale relationships, ear training.
- Each participant will be allocated individual rehearsal time with a pianist or trio to prepare songs for performance in the evening concerts.
- Brigitte will run a jazz choir group every afternoon. The choir will perform on the last night.
Daily Schedule (typical day)
- 8.30am: Breakfast.
- 10.00 to 10.45am: Vocal warm up / technique.
- 10.45 to 1.00pm: Masterclass with vocal tutor.
- 1.00pm: Lunch.
- 2.15 to 3.30pm:Rehearsing songs with pianists and / or trios
- 3.45 to 5 pm: Jazz choir or masterclasses
- 5pm to 7.30pm: Free time for rest, recreation or practice.
- 7.30pm: Aperitif and dinner.
- 8.45 pm: The evening continues with a concert followed by a jam session until about 1.00 am.