Vocal Course Dates and Tutors 2023
BRIGITTE BERAHA (plus Gareth Lockrane, Mark Ridout, Mike Gorman)
JUDY NIEMACK (plus Alan Barnes, Mark Ridout, Barry Green, Jeremy Brown)
NIA LYNN (plus Mick Foster, Rob Barron, jeremy Brown)
The Vocalist course welcomes vocalists with a wide variety of backgrounds and experience who want to develop and improve their jazz singing.
This year we welcome again Brigitte Beraha, Nia Lynn and Judy Niemack who offer unrivalled expertise in jazz vocal coaching, performance and contemporary improvisation.
There is a strong emphasis on practical skills and participants have the opportunity to prepare songs for performance in the evenings with pianists and trios.
- Performance: microphone technique, confidence, conveying lyrics, repertoire.
- Jazz phrasing: improving swing feel. Understanding triplet subdivisions
- Time and feel: counting in, choosing appropriate tempos, changing the time signature and feel of a song. Brazilian music.
- Improvisation: Scat vocabulary, developing and building solos, improvising over chord sequences.
- Each participant will be allocated individual rehearsal time with a pianist or trio to prepare songs for performance in the evening concerts.
- There is a jazz choir session every afternoon. The choir will perform on the last night of the course.
Daily Schedule (typical day)
- 8.30am: Breakfast.
- 10.00 to 10.45am: Vocal warm up / technique.
- 10.45 to 1.00pm: Masterclasses with vocal tutor.
- 1.00pm: Lunch.
- 2.20 to 3.40pm:Rehearsing songs with pianists and / or trios
- 4 to 5 pm: Jazz choir or masterclasses
- 5pm to 7.30pm: Free time for rest, recreation or practice.
- 7.30pm: Aperitif and dinner.
- 8.45 pm: The evening continues with a concert followed by a jam session until about 1.00 am.