Loire Vocal Summer School 2020
The Vocal course welcomes vocalists with a wide variety of backgrounds and experience who want to develop and improve their jazz singing. The courses includes support classes from the instrumental tutors on topics such as harmony, aural training, rhythm and feel.
We are presenting three courses at Domaine de Bel Air for Summer 2020 featuring Brigitte Beraha and Judy Niemack.
The Summer School is divided into three courses and runs from 27th July to 14th August. all courses are 6 nights duration.
COURSE 1 : ARRIVAL 27TH JULY – DEPARTURE 2ND AUGUST
Vocal tutor: Judy Niemack. With Gareth Lockrane (brass/woodwind), Rob Barron(piano), Oli Hayhurst (electric and double bass) , Tristan Mailliot (drums).
COURSE 2: ARRIVAL 2ND – DEPARTURE 8TH AUGUST
Vocal tutor: Brigitte Beraha. Steve Fishwick (brass), Mick Foster (woodwind), Barry Green (piano), Jeremy Brown (double bass), Tristan Mailliot (drums).
COURSE 3: ARRIVAL 8TH -DEPARTURE 14TH AUGUST
Vocal tutor: Brigitte Beraha. With Gareth Lockrane (brass,woodwind), Mike Gorman (piano), Mark Ridout ( guitar), Flo Moore ( electric bass ), Tristan Mailliot (drums).
Course Outline (Vocalists)
The Vocalist course welcomes vocalists with a wide variety of backgrounds and experience who want to develop and improve their jazz singing. Support classes from the instrumental tutors on topics such as harmony, aural training, rhythm and feel complete the course.
This year we welcome again Brigitte Beraha and Judy Niemack who both offer unrivalled expertise in jazz vocal coaching, performance and contemporary improvisation.
There is a strong emphasis on practical skills and participants have the opportunity to prepare songs for performance in the evenings with pianists and trios.
Vocalists will also join with instrumental participants and tutors for workshops and support classes. .
Please have a look at the tutor page to access biogs and sound clips for Brigitte and Nia.
- Performance: microphone technique, confidence, conveying lyrics, repertoire.
- Jazz phrasing: improving swing feel. Understanding triplet subdivisions
- Time and feel: counting in, choosing appropriate tempos, changing the time signature and feel of a song. Brazilian music.
- Improvisation: Scat vocabulary, developing and building solos, improvising over chord sequences.
- Theory/harmony: Aural skills, understanding chord symbols. Chord/scale relationships, ear training.
- Each participant will be allocated individual rehearsal time with a pianist or trio to prepare songs for performance in the evening concerts.
- Brigitte will run a jazz choir group every afternoon. The choir will perform on the last night.
Daily Schedule (typical day)
- 8.30am: Breakfast.
- 10.00 to 10.45am: Vocal warm up / technique.
- 10.45 to 1.00pm: Masterclass with vocal tutor.
- 1.00pm: Lunch.
- 2.15 to 3.30pm:Rehearsing songs with pianists and / or trios
- 3.45 to 5 pm: Jazz choir or masterclasses
- 5pm to 7.30pm: Free time for rest, recreation or practice.
- 7.30pm: Aperitif and dinner.
- 8.45 pm: The evening continues with a concert followed by a jam session until about 2.00 am.