We are running an extra course from 17th to 23rd August 2019. The tutor will be Nia Lynn.
Please email to register your interest.
Exra Course: 17th-23rd August.
The Vocalist course welcomes vocalists with a wide variety of backgrounds and experience who want to develop and improve their jazz singing. Support classes from the instrumental tutors on topics such as harmony, aural training, rhythm and feel complete the course.
This year we welcome again Brigitte Beraha and Nia Lynn who both offer unrivalled expertise in jazz vocal coaching, performance and contemporary improvisation.
There is a strong emphasis on practical skills and participants have the opportunity to prepare songs for performance in the evenings with pianists and trios.
Vocalists will also join with instrumental participants and tutors for workshops and support classes. .
Please have a look at the tutor page to access biogs and sound clips for Brigitte and Nia.
- Performance: microphone technique, confidence, conveying lyrics, repertoire.
- Jazz phrasing: improving swing feel. Understanding triplet subdivisions
- Time and feel: counting in, choosing appropriate tempos, changing the time signature and feel of a song. Brazilian music.
- Improvisation: Scat vocabulary, developing and building solos, improvising over chord sequences.
- Theory/harmony: Aural skills, understanding chord symbols. Chord/scale relationships, ear training.
- Each participant will be allocated individual rehearsal time with a pianist or trio to prepare songs for performance in the evening concerts.
- Brigitte will run a jazz choir group every afternoon. The choir will perform on the last night.
Schedule (typical day)
- 8.30am: Breakfast.
- 10.00 to 10.45am: Vocal warm up / technique.
- 10.45 to 1.00pm: Masterclass with vocal tutor.
- 1.00pm: Lunch.
- 2.00 to 3.30pm:Rehearsing songs with pianists and / or trios
- 3.30 to 4.45 pm: Jazz choir or masterclasses
- 4.30 to 7.30pm: Free time for rest, recreation or practice.
- 7.30pm: Aperitif and dinner.
- 9.00 pm: The evening continues with a concert followed by a jam session until about 2.00 am.
The fee for tuition is £420. In addition, there is a fee for accommodation: chateau room (€300) or chalet room (€200), together with a fee for food (€184). These are payable in euros on arrival.
Click here for Terms and Conditions