Summer School 29th July to 18th AugusT
The summer school welcomes vocalists and instrumentalists with some jazz experience who want to develop and improve their improvisation and performance skills.
The summer school is divided into three periods of 6 nights with a different team of tutors for each period. Each course features instrumental and vocal classes, small groups with vocalists and with horn players, big band and choir. There is an evening concert after dinner every day followed by a late night jam session.
Exceptionally for 2024 there is an extra day and night linking course 1 and 2 and course 2 and 3 . This extra night’s accommodation is included for participants booking for two consecutive courses.
2024 COURSE 1: arrival 29th July – departure 4th August (6 nights) (with instrumental Funk option)
2024 COURSE 2: arrival 5th August – departure 11th August (6 nights)
Tutors: Alan Barnes (all horns ), Rob Barron (piano), Mark Ridout (guitar), Jeremy Brown (double bass), Tristan Mailliot /Gwilym Jones (drums). Vocal course: Judy Niemack.
2024 COURSE 3: arrival 12th August – departure 18th August (6 nights)
Tutors: Mick Foster(all horns), Barry Green (piano), Dave Mannington (double/ electric bass), Tristan Mailliot / Gwilym Jones (drums). Vocal course: Nia Lynn.
- Vocals: voice technique, breathing. Interpreting lyrics. Modes and scales for improvisation.
- Brass/ Woodwind: Scales/ arpeggios/ modes and how they relate to harmonic sequences found in jazz. Technique, breathing etc,,,
- Piano: Chord/scale relationships, chord voicings and extensions, vocabulary, technique.
- Bass: Chord/scale relationships, developing walking bass lines, vocabulary and soloing.
- Drums: Straight eighths and triplet based time feels, stickings, soloing and phrasing, brushwork, metric modulation, Latin.
- Guitar: chord shapes, scales and improvisation. Repertoire and styles.
Classes are a mix of instrumental workshops and ensemble classes focusing on different types of jazz repertoire. We will be covering blues forms, jazz standards and more contemporary material ie. music by Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, John Scofield, Pat Metheny.
Everyone has the the opportunity to prepare pieces of their choice in trios, quartets or quintets for the evening concert. We encourage everyone to stretch their musical boundaries and have fun both on and off the bandstand. Vocalists will perform with a trio in the concert every evening and participate in the jazz choir.
Typical Daily Timetable
- 8.30 to 9.30 am: Breakfast.
- 10.00 to 11.20am: Instrument specific workshop.
- 11.40-1.00pm: Participants divide into smaller combo groups and work on one or more pieces to perform in the concert.
- 1.00pm: Lunch.
- 2.20 to 3.50 pm: Vocalists prepare songs with trios. Large Ensemble ( all horns plus rhythm section) rehearsal.
- 4 to 5 pm Masterclasses ( transcription, solo analysis, rhythm class) or Jazz Choir.
- 5 to 7.30pm: Free time for recreation or extra rehearsal or individual practice. Ensembles and vocalists can use extra rehearsal time to prepare for the evening concerts.
- 7.30pm: Dinner.
- 8.30 pm: Concert followed by a jam session lasting until about 1 am.